Thursday, May 24, 2007

Yet another good-bye…

Parting can be painful at times. For all we take to your grave is not any material wealth during the course of our living time in earth, but only some memories – sweet and cherishing, one would wish. I recently had to bid goodbye to my colleagues at work. The reason is obvious. I was leaving the company and them for what I considered was a better offer worth considering.

It was before I became bedridden for appendectomy – for a couple of weeks – that I decided to submit my resignation. Apparently, my boss did not want this to be revealed to anybody in the team and wanted me to be tight-lipped. Which, in all my earnest I did, save for a few colleagues whom I consider my friends. After all, workplace is where you spend most of the time of your life. The two weeks of bed rest after my appendectomy gave me a break from work and my colleagues were unmindful of the fact that I was not going back to work with them.

So when matters had to be resolved, I was in an embarrassing situation while visiting my workplace for separation formalities. People had no clue why I was at work when I was supposed to be bed ridden. And news – as invariably as it happens in these situations – seems to have spread and my next cubicle colleague was like -- Prathap you never told me that? It was quite palpable that they weren’t officially informed about my departure and that they garnered something fishy happening with my visit.

Then came the time to bid goodbye. Although I was only working for a brief period of time (I hope I can consider 8 months a brief period), the close-knit atmosphere prevailed at my workplace made me feel home quite often. Large number of female population in the bay perhaps could be attributed to this sentiment.

The next few minutes were filled with perpetual ‘all the bests’, ‘all the very bests’, ‘keep in touches’, exchange of email ids and telephone numbers.

I am not sure as to how many will remain in my memory, how many will be in touch with me for a long time or how long I will have the impact of parting with them.

Nevertheless, it is indeed a difficult feeling to part with something – the atmosphere, the people and the facilities – you have grown used to. Otherwise, life goes on and here I’m all set for a new life that involved making new friends and enemies, gelling with my new workplace, and of course taking on challenges.

Wish me luck oh Lord…

2 comments:

Madhan Kumar said...

Life is a journey with no known destination despite people claiming otherwise. We are all feathers floating in the wind call destiny.

Get well soon. The secret of happiness is to get rid of the past.
Get well soon!

distanthorizon said...

true Madhan... i don't normally grieve about my past.. on the other hand, i do miss people whom i was associated with and no longer see regularly...

btw am gettin betta... thanx for the concern : )