Monday, September 10, 2007

Am I selfish??!???!

It does happen quite often with me. Could be universal in today’s life on the fast lane. But I did not particularly like it happening with me. Or rather I do not like my attitude towards it. My fret has enough reason. Here is how.

Having fancied pasta for supper, I decided to visit the neighborhood shop for the purchase of ingredients. A crowd in the middle of the road attracted my attention on the way and soon enough I found out that a reckless four wheeler driver ran into a two-wheeler leaving the victim bleeding profusely. The injured man was in his middle age and was bleeding from his bruises in his forehead and face.

By now roadside hawkers and a few others gathered around the victim sprinkling water on his face, making him drink some and trying to keep him conscious. I could see he was only partly conscious. The focus was on the injured man and the four-wheeler driver put the situation to better use. He sped away with his vehicle.

Some hailed a rickshaw to move the man to a hospital. He was still bleeding and hadn’t regained his full consciousness.

All this while I could only manage to pose a dumb spectator. I simply thought there are other people to help him and he doesn’t need mine. But had a hard time contemplating whether or not I’m right.

However, in the end I did not feel guilty although my heart sank for the man. I proceeded thinking that I have my pasta to cook.

Am I selfish, irresponsible, and lack sympathy?

4 comments:

pepe M. said...

i guess the very thought that yur 'heart sunk for the man'and jot it down is suffice to say yur 'sensitive'...

hope he is ok though...

distanthorizon said...

That was reassuring... thanx :-)

Unknown said...

it really does not require that we need to do something for people in various situations!!

sometimes i helps even if we don't make the situation worse.. if there was no one to help and u did not pay any attention then yes that's inhumane!!

n btw.. how did d pasta come along??

distanthorizon said...

Hey Kirthi, thanx for dat... the pasta turned out to be delicious... mmm i never thought i could make anything this tasty in my entire life... :-)