Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Tribute on the Teacher’s Day

They are the means of access to the world of knowledge. Teachers. Although the advent of Internet has redefined the conventional methods of learning, in my opinion it’s only from teachers that one can gain worldly wisdom.

Since it’s teacher’s day, I decided to pay tribute to two of my teachers who started my education and sort of ended it. Not that I have finished my studies once and for all. But yeah, I no longer think that I would (and have to) attend regular classes. Not that I hate them, but I tend to think that I have grown old for classroom sessions. Besides, I dread the prospect of sitting through grueling daylong sessions and the worse part is that it really gets tough to hold your heavy eyelids open after a heavy lunch, you know.

Now back to my teachers.

Miss Rita:

She held my little finger and walked me slowly to the world of those alphabets (both ‘Capital’ and ‘Small’ as she defined it). I can still recite those ‘Ba Ba Black sheeps’ and ‘Twinkle Twinkle Little Stars’ although now it would be weird for someone in his late 20s to sing them – even if it’s to pay tribute to his first teacher in life. My mom used to tell me that I was a fussy kid when it came to school. I tend to shriek all day to be sent home during those early days of my school, she says. However, if it was not for Miss Rita I am not sure I would have endured the ordeal of my earlier days in school.

It’s been quite a while since I have met her now. Reason being I relocated and no longer visit the town that I did my studies. Wherever you are Miss Rita, please know that I am in awe with you.

Miss Vidya:

She wanted to be called ‘Vidya Miss’ and they all did, partly in fear and partly in respect. It always amazes me how well she camouflages her tenderness in a thick shell of severity she often imposes upon the students. She handpicks her close friends with absolute care and if one happens to fall inside the circle, she sees to it that it’s a lifetime friendship.

Since it was during the later years of my college that I took tuitions with her for language, our relationship is sort of teacher-turned-friend and she often found herself at odds when it came to pinpointing my poor performance in studies (which is not an infrequent occurrence by the way). However, she never failed to criticize when I became sluggish.

I haven’t seen her in a couple of years and I have taken it as a task to reestablish my teacher-friend relationship with her soon. Are you reading Miss?

2 comments:

pepe M. said...

this is a very intellectual stimulating space yuve got here :)
i guess i need to do a lot of catching up...and am very thrilled too yur from chennai...will link yu prathap, if yu dont mind :)

pepe

distanthorizon said...

@ pepe Ofcourse you can link me... thanx for the comment too..